Sunday, July 26, 2015

Where are the words when I need them

This morning made me feel like the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. From the time I woke up, till around 1 pm, I was cooking, driving, changing diapers, getting kids dressed, eating, feeding and loading kids in and out of the green monster (our van). Yes, I got a lot done and was so relieved to finally get back to the house and call nap time.



Half way through nap time, my husband sent me a text with a link about a man in the UK that was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. It peeked my interest, and, since I never really get to take a nap during nap time, I decided to read it. Honestly, I thought it would be about a lady with MS, since it's not very common for men to be diagnosed. So it was very interesting, and I couldn't stop reading it. It wasn't the usual article I've read for the past 13 years (that's how long I've known I have it), it was from a man's prospective, a son and a father, but at the same time, it address almost everything I have gone through. Seriously. It even reminded me of a time a couple years ago when I was talking with some ladies I know. But before I tell that, here's the link if you want to read it. http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2015/06/alphabet-months-year-living-multiple-sclerosis



Alright, I'll start off by telling you that about 5 or more years ago I heard a story about Fred Astaire talking to some actors and actresses about a serious topic. Marily Monroe walks up and tried to join in on the conversation with only hearing a little bit of what they were talking about. She was completely off on the subject and Fred just looked at her and said "sure" and then went back to talking to the other people, making Marilyn look and probably feel dumb. Anyways, that's pretty much how I felt when this happened. 



The ladies and I worked with the young women at our church. We were discussing what all we could do to help and teach them new stuff we got. I climbed in, wanting to tell them something that I didn't know, myself, at the young women's age and wanted ideas of how we could get them ready for it. Instead, I ended up telling them about something that happened to me when I went from going to church with my parents to the (what we call) singles branch. (If you want details about that, feel free to ask me) two of the ladies looked at me and said, "thanks for that story," and they moved on to talking about other things. I was so mad at myself for not saying anything even remotely close to what I wanted to say, I just sat there through the rest of the meeting. 




A year or so later, I was asked to be a Sunday School teacher with the same age group at church with another lady. Now ,you have to understand, a lot of people, for some reason, think that I'm anything but shy. Honestly, I am. I am shy. I love being around people, but if there are more than two people looking at me at once, my face goes completely red. Heck, even if one person is looking at me too long while I'm talking to them, I turn red and usually just stop talking in hopes they'll look somewhere else. Anyways, after I agreed to be a Sunday School teacher, I messaged the other teacher and asked her to help me. I asked her to keep me on track with whatever I first started talking about, if I happened to start going off on something else. She was a teacher, degree and everything, and she really was a big help. 



So I'm not sure how much of this makes sense, but there's a little more insight to my day and thought processes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment